(Johnny "Man" Young)
DISCOGRAPHY 1966-2026 (13CD)
BIOGRAPHY
Johnny Young (January 1, 1918 – April 18, 1974) was an American blues
singer, mandolin player and guitarist, significant as one of the first
of the new generation of electric blues artists to record in Chicago
after the Second World War.
He was one of the few mandolin players active in blues music in the
postwar era. His nickname, Man, came from his playing the
mandolin.
Young was born in Vicksburg, Mississippi, and played in string bands in
Mississippi in the 1930s. He also claimed to have worked with Sleepy
John Estes in Tennessee before moving to Chicago in 1940.
By 1943, he was working with John Lee "Sonny Boy" Williamson and Muddy
Waters. In the late 1940s he became a regular player on Maxwell Street,
often with his cousin, the guitarist Johnny Williams, and in clubs with
Williams and Little Walter. His first recording was made in 1947 for the
Ora Nelle label, featuring Young singing "Money Taking Woman" on the
A-side, accompanied by Williams, who sang "Worried Man Blues" on the
B-side.
For a second session in late 1948, Young and Williams were joined by
Snooky Pryor on harmonica and recorded a single for the Planet label,
released under the name Man Young. A later session, for J.O.B. Records,
was unissued. Young played guitar behind Snooky Pryor in a session for
Vee-Jay, but after that he retired from performance in the 1950s.
With the rise of interest in blues among white audiences in the early
1960s, Young emerged from retirement in 1963 and recorded for several
labels, including Vanguard, Testament, Arhoolie and Blue Horizon, in the
1960s and early 1970s.
Young died of a heart attack, in Chicago, in 1974, and is buried in
Lincoln Cemetery, in Urbana, Illinois. (Wikipedia)
NEW!
2026-Complete Recordings @320
Chicago Blues
TRACKS
01-Wild, Wild Woman
02-Keep Your Nose Out Of My Business
03-I'm Having A Ball
04-My Trainfare Out Of Town
05-I'm Doing All Right
06-Stealin'
07-Keep On Drinking
08-Hot Dog!
09-Come Early In The Morning
10-Moaning And Groaning
11-Cross-Cut Saw
12-Slam Hammer
13-Strange Girl
14-Ring Around My Heart
15-Sometimes I Cry
16-Don't You Lie To Me
17-On The Road Again
18-Walter's Boogie
19-Stockyard Blues
20-Drinking Straight Whiskey
JNYG-1966-Chicago Blues @FLAC
Back to Chicago
TRACKS
01-Little Girl
02-One More Time
03-Humpty Dumpty
04-I Got It
05-Whoop It Up
06-All My Money Gone
07-Prison Bound
08-Bad Blood
09-Let Me Ride Your Mule
10-Meet Me In The Bottom
11-Money Taking Woman
12-I Got To Find That Woman
13-You Got Your Business
14-I'm Leaving Baby
15-My Baby Walked Out In 1954
16-You Make Me Feel So Good
17-Back To Chicago
18-Tired Of Your Smiling
19-Moaning And Groaning
20-Heard My Doorbell Ring
21-My Trainfare Out Of Town
22-Lula Mae
23-Jackson Bound
24-Walking Slow
JNYG-1970-Back to Chicago @ALAC
Complete Blue Horizon Sessions
TRACKS
01-Moaning And Groaning
02-Heard My Doorbell Ring
03-My Trainfare Out Of Town
04-Lula Mae
05-Jackson Bound
06-Walking Slow
07-Deal, The Cards I
08-Deal, The Cards II
09-Lend Me Your Love
10-Lorraine
11-Prison Bound
12-Little Girl
13-Mean Black Snake
14-Stealin'
15-Go Ahead On
...(W.That Funky Broadway Sound)
16-Johnny's Mess Around
JNYG-1970-The Complete Blue Horizon Sessions @ALAC
I Can't Keep My Foot
From Jumping
(LP)
TRACKS
A1-Stop Breaking Down
A2-I Gotta Find My Baby
A3-Deal The Cards
A4-Train Fare Out Of Town
A5-I Know She's Kinda Slick
A6-Tried Not To Cry
B1-Keep On Drinking
B2-Kid Mama Blues
B3-Lend Me Your Love
B4-Sweet Mama
B5-No.12 Is At The Station
B6-I Can't Keep My Foot From Jumpin'
JNYG-1973-I Can't Keep My Foot From Jumping (LP) @FLAC
Complete Recordings
TRACKS
001-Money Taking woman I
002-Money Taking woman II
003-My Baby Walked Out On Me
004-Let Me Ride Your Mule
005-All my money is gone
006-Did you get that letter
007-Blues and trouble
008-Whoop it up
009-All I Want For Breakfast
010-Humpty dumpty
011-My baby walked out in 1954
012-Bad blood
013-Let me ride your mule
014-Prison bound
015-I got it
016-I tried not to cry
017-Tribute to JFK
018-Pony blues
019-My home ain't here
020-Want My Lovin'
021-Back to Chicago
022-Money taking woman
023-Tired of you smiling
024-Hear that whistle blow
025-I'm leaving you baby
026-You make me feel so good
027-You make me feel good
028-Forty four blues
029-Crawling King Snake
030-Bumble Bee
031-You don't have to go
032-Broken hearted blues
033-Better cut it out
034-You got bad blood
035-My baby walked out in 1964
036-Want my baby (Step by baby)
037-Monkey face woman
038-One more time
039-Little girl
040-The sun is shining
041-All I want for breakfast
042-Meet me in the bottom
043-Kid man blues
044-Mean Old Train
045-Keep my nose out
046-I'm doing all right
047-Moanin' and groaning
048-Stealin'
049-Wild wild women
050-I'm having a ball
051-My trainfare out of town
052-Keep on drinking
053-Hot dog
054-Come early in the morning
055-Crosscut saw
056-Slam hammer
057-One more time
058-Kid man blues
059-My black mare
060-Stealin' back
061-I got mine in time
062-Tighten up on it
063-Green door blues
064-Sugar farm blues
065-Kid man blues
066-Blues For Big Time
067-Bumble Bee
068-Instrumental
069-Highway 61
070-Jumpin' on Eight
071-Stealin'again
072-Mandolin Rock
073-I Tried to Get You Off My Mind
074-Weeping and moaning
075-You got good business
076-Clean cut mama
077-Memphis Tn 1939
078-Strange girl
079-Fumbling around
080-Drinking straight whiskey
081-Sleeping with the Devil
082-Stockyard blues
083-Ring around my heart
084-On the road again
085-Sometimes I cry
086-Don't you lie to me
087-Johnny's messaround
088-Moaning and groaning
089-Heard my doorbell ring
090-My trainfare out of town
091-Lula Mae
092-Jackson bound
093-Walking slow
094-Deal the cards I & II
095-Lend me your love
096-Lorraine
097-Prison bound
098-Little girl
099-Mean black snake
100-Stealin' once again
101-Go ahead on
102-Let Me Ride Your Mule
103-Number 12 And 10 Train
104-Bad Blood
105-Blues Before Sunrise
106-I'm Goin Im Goin
107-Little Girl Little Girl
108-Mandolin Boogie
109-Mary Lou
110-My Baby Walked Out
111-No. 12 Is At The Station
112-Nobody's Business
113-Trompin At The Ballroom
114-Why Did You Break My Heart
115-Mandolin boogie
116-Why did you break my heart
117-Johnny's Jump
118-Can't keep my foot from jumping
119-Stop breaking down
120-I gotta find my baby
121-Deal the cards
122-Train fare out of town
123-I know she's kinda slick
124-Tried not to cry
125-Keep on drinking
126-Kid mama blues
127-Lend me your love
128-Sweet mama
129-No 12 at the Station
2026-Complete Recordings @320
COLLECTION
TCD5003 - J.Young & His Friends
TRACKS
01-Prison Bound
02-Sugar Farm Blues
03-All My Money Gone
04-My Home Ain't Here
05-Blues For Big Time
06-Did You Get That Letter
07-I'm Leavin' Baby
08-I Got It
09-Bumble Bee
10-Meet Me In The Bottom
11-You Made Me Feel So Good
12-Want My Lovin'
13-Blues and Trouble
14-Kid Man Blues
15-Humpty Dumpty
16-Inmstrumental
17-Fourty Four Blues
18-Whoop It Up
TCD5003-Johnny Young & His Friends @FLAC
TCD6004 - Mandolin Blues
TRACKS
01-Dig My Buddy, Joe (James Yank Rachell)
02-Smokey Joe (James Yank Rachell)
03-Rainy Day Blues (James Yank Rachell)
04-My Baby's Gonna Jump and Shout (J.Y.Rachell)
05-Everyday I Have the Blues (Carl Martin)
06-Gravedigger Blues (Carl Martin)
07-Garbage Man Blues (Will Hatcher)
08-Crawdad (Will Hatcher)
09-Waiting Just for You (Will Hatcher)
10-Mary, Run to the Window (Ted Bogan)
11-Highway 61 (Johnny Young)
12-Jumpin' On Eight (Johnny Young)
13-Stealin' (Johnny Young)
14-Mandolin Rock (Johnny Young)
15-I Tried to Get You Off My Mind (Johnny Young)
16-Bumble Bee (Johnny Young)
17-Crawling Kingsnake (Johnny Young)
TCD6004-VA-Mandolin Blues @FLAC
COLLABORATION
Vol.3- Blues All Around My Bed
TRACKS
A1-Blues All Around My Bed (Carl Hodges)
A2-Hellhound On My Trail (Big Joe Williams)
A3-Good Morning, Little School Girl (J.L.Granderson)
A4-Green Door Blues (Johnny Young)
A5-Standing In My Backdoor Crying (J.Robinson)
A6-Sometimes I Rate (W.B. Piano Bill Bryson)
B1-One Thin Dime (Blind Connie Williams)
B2-Sweet Man Blues (Leroy Dallas)
B3-Good Woman Blues (Doug Quattlebaum)
B4-Trouble In Mind (Bill Jackson)
B5-Gonna Let You Down (Avery Brady)
B6-Roll Me Over Slow (Arthur Weston)
THE BLUES SCENE-Vol.3 Blues All Around My Bed @FLAC
Vol.4- Mississippi Blues
TRACKS
A1-Four O'Clock In The Morning (Bart Logan)
A2-Bye Bye Baby Blues (Roosevelt Charles)
A3-Sugar Mama (Coot Venson)
A4-I Don't Want You No More (Avery Brady)
A5-I Can See My Baby In My Dreams (Jimmy Brown)
A6-Big Road Blues (Jimmy Brewer)
A7-Someday Baby (Arthur Weston)
B1-Long Road Blues (Big Joe Williams)
B2-Pony Blues (Johnny Young)
B3-Rising Sun Blues (Ruby McCoy)
B4-21 Below Zero (Arthur Big Boy Spires)
B5-Goin' Back Home (Jimmy Brown)
B6-Down Here By Myself (Big John Henry Miller)
THE BLUES SCENE-Vol.4 Mississippi Blues @FLAC
Chicago: The Blues Today
(3CD)
TRACKS
101-Help Me (Tribute to S.B.Williamson)
102-It Hurts Me Too (When Things Go Wrong)
103-Messin' With The Kid
104-Vietcong Blues
105-All Night Long
106-Going Ahead
107-Please Help
108-Too Much Alcohol
109-Married Woman Blues
110-That's The Truth
111-Marie
112-Burning Fire
113-S.P. Blues
114-Sometime I Wonder
115-Spann's Stomp
201-Cotton Crop Blues (The James Cotton Blues Band)
202-The Blues Keep Falling (James Cotton Blues Band)
203-Love Me or Leave (The James Cotton Blues Band)
204-Rocket 88 (The James Cotton Blues Band)
205-West Helena Blues (The James Cotton Blues Band)
206-Everything's Going to Turn Out Alright (Otis Rush)
207-It's A Mean Old World (The Otis Rush Blues Band)
208-I Can't Quit You Baby (The Otis Rush Blues Band)
209-Rock (The Otis Rush Blues Band)
210-It's My Own Fault (The Otis Rush Blues Band)
211-Dust My Broom (Homesick James and His Dusters)
212-Somebody Been Talkin' (H.James & Dusters)
213-Set A Date (Homesick James and His Dusters)
214-So Mean to Me (H.James and Dusters)
301-One More Time (J.Young's South Side Blues Band)
302-Kid Man Blues (J.Young's South Side Blues Band)
303-My Black Mare (J.Young's South Side Blues Band)
304-Stealin' Back (J.Young's South Side Blues Band)
305-I Got Mine In Time (J.Young's South Side Blues Band)
306-Tighten Up On It (J.Young's South Side Blues Band)
307-Dynaflow Blues (The Johnny Shines Blues Band)
308-Black Spider Blues (The Johnny Shines Blues Band)
309-Layin' Down My Shoes And Clothes (Johnny Shines)
310-If I Get Lucky (The Johnny Shines Blues Band)
311-Rockin' My Boogie (Big Walter Horton)
312-Mr. Boweevil (The Johnny Shines Blues Band)
313-Hey, Hey (The Johnny Shines Blues Band)
VA-Chicago The Blues Today @ALAC.CD1-3
Modern Chicago Blues
TRACKS
01-My Baby Walked Out In 1954 (Johnny Young)
02-Married Woman Blues (Wilbert Jenkins)
03-You Make Me Feel So Good (Johnny Young)
04-Crying Won't Make Me Stay (Maxwell Street Jimmy)
05-Everybody's Fishing (Big Walter Horton)
06-Money Takin' Woman (Johnny Young)
07-Blues Before Sunrise (Robert Nighthawk)
08-Back To Chicago (Johnny Young)
09-Bumble Bee (John Lee Granderson)
10-I've Got My Eyes On You (Maxwell Street Jimmy)
11-Bad Blood (Johnny Young)
12-I'm Going To Detroit (John Wrencher)
13-Hanging Around My Door (Maxwell Street Jimmy)
14-Tired Of You Smiling (Johnny Young)
15-Crawling King Snake (Wilbert Jenkins)
16-Let Me Ride Your Mule (Johnny Young)
17-Hard Hearted Woman (Big Walter Horton)
18-I Don't Feel Good (John Lee Granderson)
19-Long Haired Doney (Maxwell Street Jimmy)
20-That's All Right (John Lee Granderson)
21-Hideaway (William Mack)
VA-Modern Chicago Blues @FLAC
No comments:
Post a Comment