DISCOGRAPHY 1995-2019 (14CD)
BIOGRAPHY
Julia Lee (October 31, 1902 – December 8, 1958) was an American blues and
dirty blues musician. Her inclusion in the latter category is mainly due
to a few numbers she performed, e.g. "King Size Papa" and "Snatch and Grab
It" and "The Spinach Song". However, it would be misleading to
characterize her music as always being in this vein.
Born in Boonville, Missouri, Lee was raised in Kansas City, and began
her musical career around 1920, singing and playing piano in her brother
George Lee's band, which for a time also included Charlie Parker. She
first recorded on the Merritt record label in 1927 with Jesse Stone as
pianist and arranger, and launched a solo career in 1935.
In 1944 she secured a recording contract with Capitol Records, and a
string of R&B hits followed, including "Gotta Gimme Whatcha Got" (#3
R&B, 1946), "Snatch and Grab It" (#1 R&B for 12 weeks, 1947,
selling over 500,000 copies), "King Size Papa" (#1 R&B for 9 weeks,
1948), "I Didn't Like It The First Time (The Spinach Song)" (#4 R&B,
1949), and "My Man Stands Out".
As these titles suggest, she became best known for her trademark double
entendre songs, or, as she once said, "the songs my mother taught me not
to sing". The records were credited to 'Julia Lee and Her Boy Friends',
her session musicians including Jay McShann, Vic Dickenson, Benny
Carter, Red Norvo, Nappy Lamare, Red Nichols and Jack Marshall.
She was married to Frank Duncan, a star catcher and manager of the
Negro National League's Kansas City Monarchs. He, like Julia, was a
native of Kansas City.
Although her hits dried up after 1949, she continued as one of the most
popular performers in Kansas City until her death in Kansas City, at the
age of 56, from a heart attack. (Wikipedia)
Tonight's The Night
(LP)
TRACKS
A1-Snatch And Grab It
A2-I Didn't Like It The First Time
A3-Come On Over To My House
A4-That's What I Like
A5-Knock Me A Kiss
A6-King Size Papa
A7-Can't Get Enough Of That Stuff
A8-Gotta Gimme Whatcha Got
B1-My Man Stands Out
B2-Tonight's The Night
B3-Don't Come Too Soon
B4-All This Beef & Big Ripe Tomatoes
B5-Mama Don't Allow
B6-Trouble In Mind
B7-Take It Or Leave It
B8-Last Call For Alcohol
JALE-1982-Tonight's The Night (LP) @320
Kansas City Star
(5CD Box Set)
Vol. 1 & 2
TRACKS
101-Down Home Syncopated Blues
102-Meritt Stomp
103-If I Could Be with You (1 Hour Tonight)
104-Paseo Street
105-Ruff Scufflin'
106-St. James Infirmary
107-He's Tall, Dark and Handsome
108-Won't You Come Over to My House
109-Come on Over to My House
110-Trouble in Mind
111-If It's Good
112-Show Me Missouri Blues
113-Lotus Blossom
114-Dream Lucky Blues
115-Wee Baby Blues
116-If It's Good
117-I've Got a Crush on the Fuller Brush Man
118-Two Loves I Have
119-Some of These Days
120-St. Louis Blues
121-Shake That Thing
122-Shake It and Break It
201-Julia's Blues
202-Lies
203-Gotta Gimme What'cha Got
204-When a Woman Loves a Man
205-Oh Marie
206-I'll Get Along Somehow
207-A Porter's Love Song to a Chambermaid
208-Have You Ever Been Lonely
209-Since I've Been with You
210-Out in the Cold Again
211-Young Girl's Blues
212-On My Way Out
213-There Goes My Heart
214-Snatch and Grab It
215-If You Hadn't Gone Away
216-Nobody Knows You When You're Down & Out
217-The Curse of an Aching Heart
218-Bleeding Hearted Blues
219-Living Backstreet for You
220-Wise Guys (You're a Wise Guy)
JALE-1995-Kansas City Star (5CD) @FLAC CD1-2
Vol. 3 & 4
JALE-1995-Kansas City Star (5CD) @FLAC.CD5
Kansas City's
First Lady of The Blues
(2CD)
TRACKS
101-Come On Over To My House
102-Trouble In Mind
103-If It's Good
104-Show Me The Missouri Blues
105-Lotus Blosson
106-Dream Lucky Blues
107-Julia's Blues
108-Lies
109-Gotta Gimme Whatcha Got
110-When A Woman Loves A Man
111-Oh Marie
112-I'll Get Along Somehow
113-A Porter's Love Song To A Chambermaid
114-Since I've Been With You
115-Out In The Cold Again
116-Young Girl Blues
117-On My Way Out
118-There Goes My Heart
119-Snatch And Grab It
120-If Hadn't Gone Away
121-Nobody Knows You When You're Down & Out
122-Bleeding Hearted Blues
123-Living Backstreet For You
124-Wise Guys (You're A Wise Guy)
201-Mama Don't Allow It
202-Doubiful Bues
203-Ain't It A Crime
204-Cold-Hearted Daddy
205-My Sin (Take 4)
206-When You're Smiling
207-I Was Wrong
208-Pagan Love Song
209-All I Ever Do Is Worry
210-Take It Or Leave It
211-That's What I Like
212-King Size Papa
213-Blues For Someone
214-I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles
215-Breeze (Blow My Baby Back To Me)
216-I Didn't Like It The First Time
217-Crazy World
218-Tell Me, Daddy
219-Christmas Blues
220-Until The Real Thing Comes Along
221-Charmain
222-Lotus Blossom
223-Sit Down And Drink It Over
224-The Glory Of Love
JALE-2001-Kansas City's First Lady of The Blues @320.CD1-2
Kansas City Calling
TRACKS
01-King Size Papa
02-Snatch And Grab It
03-Ain't It A Crime
04-I Was Wrong
05-Take It Or Leave It
06-I Didn't Like It The First Time
07-Tell Me Daddy
08-Cold Hearted Daddy
09-Gotta Gimme Whatcha Got
10-Young Girls' Blues
11-Tonight's The Night
12-My Man Stands Out
13-Don't Save It Too Late
14-You Ain't Got It Anymore
15-After Hours Waltz
16-Do You Want It
17-Oh Chuck It In a Bucket
18-When A Woman Loves A Man
19-On My Way Out
20-Wise Guys (You're A Wise Guy)
21-The Glory Of Love
22-That's What I Like
23-When You're Smiling
JALE-2005-Kansas City Calling @FLAC
The Very Best of Julia Lee
(My Man Stands Out & Other Innuendos)
TRACKS
01-Gimme Gimme Whatcha Got
02-I'll Get Along Somehow
03-(Opportunity Knocks but Once)
.....Snatch and Grab It
04-My Sin
05-King Size Papa
06-The Glory of Love
07-That's What I Like
08-Tell Me, Daddy
09-Christmas Spirits
10-I Didn't Like It the First Time
11-Tonight's the Night
12-My Man Stands Out
13-Don't Come Too Soon
14-Do You Want It
15-Decent Woman Blues
16-Ugly Papa
17-You Ain't Got It No More
18-Oh, Chuck It (In a Bucket)
19-You're Gonna Miss It
20-Can't Get Enough of That Stuff
21-Scream in the Night
22-I Know It's Wrong (The Diet Song)
23-Goin' to Chicago Blues
24-Last Call (For Alcohol)
25-Kansas City Boogie
26-Keep 'Em Barefoot and Busy
27-Scat You Cats
JALE-2019-The Very Best of Julia Lee @FLAC
Snatch It And Grab It
(1944-49)
TRACKS
01-Come On Over To My House
02-Trouble In Mind
03-If It's Good
04-Dream Lucky Blues
05-Lotus Blossom
06-Gotta Gimme What'cha Got
07-Snatch And Grab It
08-If You Hadn't Gone Away
09-Bleeding Hearted Blues
10-Mama Don't Allow It
11-I Was Wrong
12-That's What I Like
13-King Size Poppa
14-I Didn't Like It The First Time
15-Christmas S Christmas Spirit
16-Tonight's The Night
17-Do You Want It
18-My Man Stands Out
19-Don't Come Too Soon
20-Ugly Papa
21-Decent Woman Blues
22-You Ain't Got It No More
BLCL-Julia Lee-Snatch It And Grab It (1944-49) @FLAC
JULIA LEE (1927-46)
TRACKS
01-Down home syncopated blues
02-The meritt stomp
03-I f I could be with you one hour tonight
04-Paseo street
05-Ruff scufflin'
06-St James infirmary
07-He's tall, dark and handsome
08-Won't you come over to my house
09-Come on over to my house
10-Trouble in my mind
11-If it's good
12-Show me Missouri blues
13-Lotus blossom
14-Dream lucky blues
15-Julia's blues
16-Lies
17-Gotta gimme whatcha' got
18-When a woman loves a man
19-Oh Marie
20-I'll get along somehow
21-A Porter's love song to a chambermaid
22-Have you ever been lonely
23-Since I have been with you
24-Out in the cold again
25-Young girl's blues
26-On my way out
CHLL-Julia Lee-Chronological Classics (1927-46) @FLAC
(1947)
TRACKS
01-There Goes My Heart
02-Snatch It And Grab It
03-If You Hadn't Gone Away
04-Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out
05-The Curse Of An Aching Heart
06-Bleeding Hearted Blues
07-Back Street
08-Wise Guys
09-Mama Don't Allow It
10-Doubtful Blues
11-Ain't It A Crime
12-Knock Me A Kiss
13-Cold Hearted-Daddy
14-My Sin
15-When You're Smiling
16-I Was Wrong
17-Pagan Love Song
18-All I Do Is Worry
19-Take It Or Leave It
20-That's What I Like
21-King Size Papa
22-Blues For Someone
23-I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles
24-Breeze
CHLL-Julia Lee-Chronological Classics (1947) @FLAC
COLLECTION
Back 2 Back Divas
TRACKS
01-Meaning Of The Blues (Julie London)
02-Ain't No Way to Treat a Lady (H.Reddy)
03-Draggin' My Heart Around (Julia Lee)
04-Mad About The Boy (Julie London)
05-Angie Baby (Rerecorded) (Helen Reddy)
06-The Thirteenth Month (Julie London)
07-I Was Wrong (Julia Lee)
08-It Could Happen To You (Julie London)
09-Delta Dawn (Rerecorded) (Helen Reddy)
10-Makin' Whoopee (Julie London)
11-Feel so Young (Helen Reddy)
12-King Size Papa (Julia Lee)
13-When I Fall In Love (Julie London)
14-Here in My Arms (Helen Reddy)
15-It's A Blue World (Julie London)
16-I am Woman (Rerecorded) (Helen Reddy)
17-When You're Smiling (Julia Lee)
18-One For My Baby (Julie London)
19-I Don't Know How to Love Him (H.Reddy)
20-My Sin (Julia Lee)
21-Angel Eyes (Julie London)
22-Leave Me Alone (Helen Reddy)
23-Love Is Here To Stay (Julie London)
24-Let's go Up (Rerecorded) (Helen Reddy)
25-The More I See You (Julie London)
26-Looks Like Love (Helen Reddy)
27-A Stranger In Town (Julie London)
28-Lost in the Shuffle (Helen Reddy)
29-Learnin' The Blues (Julie London)
30-That's All (Rerecorded) (Helen Reddy)
31-Easy Street (Julie London)
32-You & Me Against the World (H.Reddy)
VA-Back 2 Back Divas @FLAC
3 comments:
Thanks for the Julie Lee share
Julia bridges the gap between Billie Holiday and the modern female blues singers
Regards
Hi Rhodb
If you like Billie Holiday too, I have a little disco for you :
BILLIE HOLIDAY (Eleanora Fagan)
DISCOGRAPHY 1937-2015 (213CD/DVD)
Enjoy !
Chris-France
Salut Chris-France
Vous n'ignorez pas que j'aime bien votre 'blog' !
Je le consulte presque tous les jours.
! MERCI pour toutes vos contributions !
Cependant ily a un problème ici avec Kansas City Star (5CD Box Set)
Les descriptions ne correspondent pas aux liens.
Ils ne pointent que sur CD1 avec les images, CD3 et CD5 tous en FLAC.
Est-il possible de rectifier le tir ?
(Il n'y a pas d'urgence)
L'autre jour je n'ai pas pu répondre à votre réponse chez Sugar Pie DeSanto
J'avais de la visite et après c'était tombé malheureusement dans les oubliettes.
Je me propose d'y revenir (J'avais déjà prévu un roman sans fin ... :-)
Amicalement
Henri
Post a Comment