Dr. ROSS

⬇️ DOCTOR ROSS ⬇️
(Charles Isaiah Ross)
DISCOGRAPHY 1965-2022 (22CD)
 BIOGRAPHY 
        
Doctor Ross (October 21, 1925 – May 28, 1993), also known as Doctor Ross the Harmonica Boss, born Charles Isaiah Ross in Tunica, Mississippi, was an American blues singer, guitarist, harmonica player and drummer.

Ross's blues style has been compared to that of John Lee Hooker and Sonny Boy Williamson. His recordings for Sun Records in the 1950s include "The Boogie Disease" and "Chicago Breakdown".

In 1951 Ross's records began to get airplay in Mississippi and Arkansas. He recorded with Chess Records and Sun with a group that included folk instruments, such as the washboard .

In 1954 Ross moved to the Detroit area and began working for General Motors. He recorded some singles with Fortune Records, including "Cat Squirrel" and "Industrial Boogie". He recorded an album issued by Testament Records and toured with the American Folk Blues Festival in Europe in 1965.

He recorded an album for Blue Horizon Records while he was in London and worked with Ornament Records in Germany in 1972. Ross and his music were popular in Europe, more so than in his home country.

Ross won a Grammy for his 1981 album Rare Blues and subsequently enjoyed a resurgence of popularity and critical acclaim towards the end of his career.

He died in 1993, at the age of 67, and was buried in Flint, Michigan. (Wikipedia)

NEW!
1972-Alive + Well (LP) @FLAC
2019-Boogie Disease - The Very Best of Doctor Ross (1951-62) @320
2022-The Harmonica Boss & His Juke Box Boogie @FLAC

The Flying Eagle
DRRO-1965-The Flying Eagle @ALAC

Alive + Well
(LP)
1972-Alive + Well (LP) @FLAC

The Harmonica Boss
(LP)
1981-The Harmonica Boss (LP) @FLAC


I Want All My Friends to Know
(Live At The Burnley Blues Festival)
DRRO-1991-I Want All My Friends to Know @FLAC


Boogie Disease
DRRO-1992-Boogie Disease @FLAC

One Man Band
DRRO-1998-One Man Band @320

The Harmonica Boss
(CD)
DRRO-2001-The Harmonica Boss (CD) @320

Harmonica Boss Blues
DRRO-2011-Harmonica Boss Blues @320

The Memphis Cuts
(1953-56)
(2CD)
DRRO-2013-The Memphis Cuts (1953-56) @320

Juke Box Boogie
(with His Jump & Jive Boys)
DRRO-2013-Juke Box Boogie @FLAC


Boogie Disease
The Very Best of Doctor Ross (1951-62)
2019-Boogie Disease - The Very Best of Doctor Ross (1951-62) @320

The Harmonica Boss
& His Juke Box Boogie
2022-The Harmonica Boss & His Juke Box Boogie @FLAC


 COLLECTION 
⬇️SUN RECORDS⬇️
(The Blues Years 1950-58)
CD1
SUN RECORDS The Blues Years (1950-58) @FLAC CD1
CD4
SUN RECORDS The Blues Years (1950-58) @FLAC CD4
CD6
SUN RECORDS The Blues Years (1950-58) @FLAC CD6

⬇️THE SUN BLUES⬇️
ARCHIVES
Vol.5 - Back Country Boogie
Vol.5 - Back Country Boogie @320
BOX
CD 1 & 2
CD 1 & 2 @FLAC

⬇️TESTAMENT RECORDS⬇️
TCD 5009
Testament 5009-Dr. Ross-Call The Doctor @320

⬇️THE BLUES COLLECTION⬇️
Vol.89 Dr. Ross
TBC-Vol.89-Dr.Ross (The Flying Eagle) @FLAC

5 comments:

Rhodb said...

Thanks for the Dr Ross share

A performer I have not taken my interest in but I will from now on. Love the Cat Squirrel track

Nice share

Regards

Farmer Allan said...

Thanks for your exceptionally effective hard work, Chris!
Do you have Various ‎– Rare Blues (The Takoma Blues Series) - Previously Unreleased Blues Recordings From The Collection Of Norman Dayron? It's mentioned above as a Grammy winning release of Dr Ross (of course, it's VA) I imagine it's on your site and I just can't find it. Also, I stumbled on THE TAKOMA BLUES SERIES looking for this one. I had no idea that Fahey had done so much work with the vanishing generation of Blues Men. Gotta track that stuff down now ;-)

Manhatan said...

@Allan

Thanks for your nice comment.

I don't own Takoma Blues Series but seems to be a nice collection and I'll try to find some's but, as said early: for any wish/search, please ask to Xyros on "Don't ask me ..." Blog or to Bluestender/Red Rooster on "Azzul's Collective" blog, they have a special part dedicated to ask/find some stuff by and for blues lovers ...

All the Best.
Chris-France

Farmer Allan said...

Thanks for the tips, Chris!!

daba said...

Hi Mark Thanks again. Here is 4 Discogs. 1 nice picture of Dr. Ross. I put in the full Art and Discog for Harmonica Boss LP. Could not find info for the CD release.
Dr. Ross(4)Discogs(1)PictureHBFA
https://mega.nz/file/bMV0HYaC#6dSi147RrQJBK0dglyUhyV1ZjPhEOyyVSwD5ghNzZno